Nobody can predict when they'll be involved in a car accident. Every day we share the road with distracted drivers, speeders and aggressive drivers. Sometimes, we're in the presence of an impaired or drowsy driver. All it takes is one moment of poor judgment to cause someone's injury or death. That's why the car accident lawyers at Kurle Justus, LLC in Georgia are committed to holding negligent drivers accountable and getting justice for crash victims and their families. If you sustained an injury in a car wreck, our legal team will get to the bottom of it and fight to make you whole again.
How did your car accident happen?
The most common types of car accidents our attorneys handle include:
- Rear-end collisions - These crashes often occur when a driver gets hit from behind while legally stopped at a red light, stop sign or in heavy traffic. They are usually caused by distracted driving, speeding, drowsy driving and impaired driving.
- Head-on collisions - Head-on collisions are typically rare but are often catastrophic and fatal. These crashes occur when two cars collide at a combined impact while traveling in opposite directions.
- T-bone crashes - T-bone crashes (also called broadside crashes) occur at intersections when one driver runs a red light or stop sign. They also occur when one driver makes a left turn at an intersection without the right of way.
- Sideswipes - Sideswipes often occur on multilane roads when a driver gets run out of a lane or off the road by another driver.
- Mechanical failure crashes - When the brakes on a car (or another mechanical component) fail, the consequences can be catastrophic. A driver may be at fault for a mechanical failure that caused a crash for failing to conduct proper maintenance and inspection. Sometimes, a mechanic or car parts manufacturer can be found responsible.
Steps to take after a car accident
It's critical to take your car accident case seriously from the start by following these steps after a car accident:
- Secure the crash scene and get out of the line of traffic.
- Call the police and report any injuries. Stick around and wait for the police to arrive.
- Exchange insurance information with the other driver.
- Take pictures of the crash scene and any visible injuries.
- Speak to witnesses and exchange contact information with them.
- Notify your car insurance company, but stick only to the basic facts.
- Get to a doctor as soon as possible, even if you feel fine.
- Get a copy of your official car accident report and ensure that the information on it is correct.
- Decline requests for a recorded statement from the other driver's insurance company.
- Speak to an experienced car accident lawyer to learn about your legal rights.
What if I was involved in a minor car accident?
Even in a minor accident, you can sustain an injury. The most common injury sustained in a minor crash is whiplash. This occurs when the head whips forward and backward rapidly and causes the soft tissue in the neck to overstretch. If you were involved in a relatively minor crash, the other driver's insurance company will likely take advantage of the circumstances. Because there was little damage done to your car, they may argue that your injuries are made up or are insignificant.
That's why it's important that you see a doctor promptly if your crash caused any kind of jolt in the neck, back or head. Injuries of this nature often take several days to start producing symptoms. When you see a doctor promptly, your injury can get diagnosed and treated before it gets worse. Moreover, the other driver's insurance company can't argue that you took too long to see a doctor. With an official diagnosis and proof of medical care, they can't argue that your injury is made up.
Contact us today to get started on your claim
When you hire Kurle Justus, LLC to handle your car accident claim, you can rest assured that we'll work tirelessly for the best possible outcome. Since 2004, our team of litigators has fought to help crash victims and their families recover every dollar they deserve in compensation. While the other driver's insurance company tries to change the story, our investigation will tell the real story. We'll also negotiate aggressively for a fair and full settlement on your behalf.
Our law firm serves injured motorists in Decatur and throughout Georgia. Contact us online or call us to set up your free legal consultation.