Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect Statistics
What you need to know
Nursing home abuse and neglect cases in Georgia and across the country wreak havoc on families’ lives. That’s why our Georgia nursing home abuse attorneys at Kurle Justus, LLC have dedicated their careers to fighting for the rights of abuse or neglect victims and their families.
The numbers are startling when it comes to nursing home abuse or neglect.
- An estimated 5 million people over 60 years old are abused every year.
- That figure represents 1 in 10 adults over 60 years old who have been abused.
In nursing homes, an estimated 24 percent – nearly 1 in 4 – residents have been physically abused at least once in a nursing home.
What are the most common nursing home abuse or neglect cases?
According to statistics compiled by the National Center for Victims of Crime, abuse of adults over 60 years old includes:
- 27.4 percent – physical abuse
- 22.1 percent – nursing home residents abusing fellow residents
- 19.4 percent – psychological abuse
- 15.3 percent – gross neglect
- 7.9 percent – sexual abuse
- 7.9 percent – financial abuse
Who is most at risk in nursing homes?
- 2 out 3 victims of abuse over 60 years old are women.
- An estimated 50 percent of nursing home abuse or neglect victims have dementia.
People over 65 years old are 34 percent more likely to be exploited financially, compared to people in their 40s.
You’re not alone. Our Georgia nursing home abuse attorneys can help you.
Don’t underestimate the seriousness of your loved one’s nursing home abuse or neglect case. Make sure you get the support your family needs. Contact our law firm and schedule your free case evaluation with a Georgia nursing home abuse lawyer who can be your voice for justice. We can meet with you in our Decatur office, in your home, in a hospital room, online via video chat or wherever works best for you.